Wednesday 28 December 2011

New year (nearly), new start

OK, so the other two blogs died a death. One was one to showcase crafty stuff and I can't even remember what the other one was for. This one may not last any longer than its less than illustrious predecessors, but we shall see.

Since I've been trying to learn to write I have scarcely read a thing. In fact the only books I can remember reading in the whole of 2011 (apart from one novel which I gave up on half way) that wasn't a reread were the first Kushiel trilogy by Jacqueline Carey. And even they are a bit of a cheat, since I believe I started the first one towards the end of 2010!

So, in an attempt to get the reading back on track, I shall be posting mini reviews of novels I read in 2012, both conventionally-published and self-published, and probably a mixture of paper and Kindle-only as well. I'm intending to read some new authors as well as established ones, and hopefully to learn from what I read as well as being entertained by it.

The first novels on my list for 2012 are a reread of Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb, a first read of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke and Angelfall by Susan Ee, which is a novel for Kindle only (OK, I've started this one already. So shoot me.) Angelfall is more of a young adult novel, but since I've an interest in writing for this age group I'm treating it as research.

I shall also inflict odd bits of writing on you, just to see if anyone out there is listening. Anything I post here will be short and probably little writing exercises in response to writing prompts, since like I say, I'm still learning here. Any comments or feedback would be grand!

No comments:

Post a Comment